The Importance of Annual Checkups for Pets
As a pet owner, you know that your furry friend is your best friend. They bring you joy, companionship, and unconditional love. But just like humans, pets need regular checkups to stay healthy. An annual checkup is a comprehensive examination of your pet’s health. It includes a physical exam, vaccinations, and bloodwork. The veterinarian will also discuss your pet’s diet, exercise, and behavior.
Why Are Annual Checkups Important?
There are many reasons why annual checkups are important for pets. Here are just a few:
- To detect early signs of disease. Many diseases can be detected early on, before they cause any symptoms. This gives your pet the best chance of a full recovery.
- To prevent disease. Vaccinations can help prevent many common diseases, such as rabies, distemper, and parvovirus.
- To track your pet’s overall health. The veterinarian will track your pet’s weight, body condition, and blood work over time. This helps to identify any potential health problems early on.
- To provide peace of mind. Knowing that your pet is healthy is one of the best feelings in the world. Annual checkups can help you to feel confident that your pet is getting the best possible care.
What Happens During an Annual Checkup?
An annual checkup at Partners Animal Hospital NoDa typically includes the following:
- Physical exam. The veterinarian will examine your pet’s overall health, including their weight, body condition, eyes, ears, nose, mouth, teeth, skin, and coat.
- Vaccinations. The veterinarian will discuss your pet’s vaccination needs and administer any necessary vaccines.
- Blood work. The veterinarian will draw blood and test it for a variety of things, such as anemia, kidney disease, and liver disease.
- Discussion of your pet’s diet, exercise, and behavior. The veterinarian will discuss your pet’s diet, exercise, and behavior to make sure they are getting the care they need.
What If My Pet is Healthy?
Even if your pet is healthy, it is still important to take them to the veterinarian for an annual checkup. This is because even healthy pets can develop health problems over time. Annual checkups can help to identify any potential problems early on, so that they can be treated promptly. Prevention is key in keeping your pet safe!
Annual checkups provide a baseline for your veterinarian and allows them to keep track of what may be normal for your individual pet. Having these established baselines allows your veterinarian to compare past findings to current changes in body condition, physical exam findings, and blood work values. If you are a pet owner, I encourage you to bring your pet to the veterinarian for an annual checkup.
To schedule an annual checkup for your pet, please contact Partners Animal Hospital NoDa at (704) 275-2109. We look forward to seeing you and your furry friend soon!
At Partners Veterinary Group, we believe in energizing our team members through shared values, while helping them create value for our clients and patients. Knowing we can help make pets’ and people’s lives better motivates us to continually strive for excellence and love what we do.
Our team consistently works to build educational, supportive, and cooperative work environments that cater to positive experiences and professional growth. We’re constantly evolving, creating innovative ways to deliver cutting-edge medicine to our patients. We equip our teams with tools to enhance their skills and improve their knowledge.